No need to wait for snow because this cocktail brings plenty of holiday cheer! It's mild and has a boozy coconut flavor that goes down easy!
What is a White Margarita?
A White Margarita transforms the Classic Margarita recipe into a white, coconut-flavored drink that's made with the staple ingredients: tequila, Grand Marnier or Cointreau, and citrus.
The margarita itself comes together in a shaker or a pitcher. The garnishes you use will give this cocktail a more holiday look! I suggest cinnamon sticks, sprigs of rosemary, and cranberries to the pitcher or glasses.
It's the perfect cocktail to make over the holidays, whether you enjoy a single cocktail yourself or make the pitcher-sized recipe below.
Grand Marnier or Cointreau for a Margarita
Both Grand Marnier and Cointreau are orange liquors that can be used to make a Margarita. Grand Marnier contains cognac (a type of brandy) and has a sweeter flavor profile. Cointreau is just orange liquor, just like triple sec, which is the more affordable version.
This White Margarita recipe will be a hit at your next holiday party. Make a single cocktail or a pitcher with the following ingredients:
- Tequila: blanco or silver -use your favorite brand.
- Cointreau or Grand Marnier: adds the citrus liquor element to this margarita. Triple Sec is another option.
- Lime juice: freshly squeezed is best.
- Coconut water: thins out the coconut milk and makes a taller cocktail.
- Coconut milk: shaken. Use regular canned coconut milk, not the type in the dairy/refrigerated section of the grocery store.
- Simple syrup: optional, makes it sweet.
- Garnish: cinnamon sticks, cranberries, and rosemary sprigs. This is optional.
- Cinnamon sugar: optional for rimming the glasses.
Grab the ingredient measurements for a single cocktail and a pitcher in the recipe card below.
How to Make a White Margarita
If you can measure, pour, and mix you can make this festive White Margarita. Regardless of the weather, you can sip away and have a White Christmas. Make it by:
- Fill the Pitcher
Combine all the ingredients in a pitcher and add a handful of ice cubes. Stir with a wooden spoon.
Chill the pitcher in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap, until ready to serve.
- Prep the Glasses
If you love a rimmed glass, rub a lime wedge or water along the rim of each glass and dip them into the plate of cinnamon sugar. Set the glasses aside to dry.
Once dried, fill each glass with ice.
Give the white margarita mixture a good stir before serving into individual glasses.
Can I Make it a Single Cocktail Instead?
Absolutely! You can easily make a single White Margarita cocktail by combining 1 ½ ounces of tequila, 1 ounce of Cointreau or triple sec, 1 ¼ ounces of lime juice, 1 ounce of simple syrup, and 1 ounce of coconut water. Mix everything in a shaker, pour it over ice, and garnish.
How to Rim the Glass
Individual glasses can be rimmed for your parties and holiday celebrations. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small dish. Spread it over a flat plate. rub a lime wedge or water along the rim of each glass and dip them into the plate of cinnamon sugar. Set the glasses aside to dry.
More Holiday Cocktails with Tequila
If tequila is your go-to liquor year-round, you can keep on mixin' it during the holidays in a Winter Margarita, a Pomegranate Margarita, a Christmas Margarita an Eggnog and Tequila Cocktail, my Mistletoe Margarita, or a Christmas Moscow Mule! Wanna keep warm? Make a Tequila and Hot Chocolate and boozy it up!
White Margarita (Pitcher Sized)
- 10 ounces Blanco or Silver tequila, 1 cup + 2 tablespoons
- 8 ounces Grand Marnier or Cointreau, 1 cup
- 1 cup lime juice, about 8-10 limes
- ¾ cup simple syrup
- 14 ounce can coconut milk, shaken
- 1 cup coconut water
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Rosemary, for garnish and optional
- Pour the tequila, Grand Marnier or Cointreau, lime juice, simple syrup, canned coconut milk, and coconut water into a pitcher. Add a handful of ice cubes, stir with a spoon, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, stir well. Fill each glass with ice cubes and fill with the white margarita mixture.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks, cranberries, and rosemary if using.
- Make this a single cocktail with 1 ½ ounces tequila, 1 ounce Cointreau or triple sec, 1 ¼ ounces lime juice, 1 ounce simple syrup, 1 ounce coconut water. Mix everything in a shaker, pour over ice, and garnish.
- Make sure to use regular canned coconut milk, not the one in the dairy/refrigerated section.