Looking for a fall-inspired cocktail that brings comfort with each sip? Look no further than this pumpkin margarita recipe!
This epic drink is made with pumpkin puree and a little spice, so you can keep happy hour real nice.
Best Pumpkin Spice Cocktail
When it's fall, and you want a fall-inspired cocktail, few things are better than the pumpkin spice flavor mixed with your favorite tequila.
Unlike the popular coffee drink, this cocktail recipe uses real pumpkin and not syrup, making it both delicious and simply irresistible. I love serving this in November with my Thanksgiving Margarita.
Making this pumpkin margarita is really easy and the perfect way to use up a little leftover canned pumpkin! For this cocktail, you'll need:
- Lime juice: a little, to keep it traditional.
- Tequila: I recommend blanco tequila but use your favorite for this recipe.
- Cointreau or triple sec: either one will work.
- Pumpkin Puree: the base and hero of this drink
- Maple syrup: optional to sweeten the drink.
- Cinnamon Sugar: use store-bought or make your own to coat the rim of your glass.
You'll find the recipe card with measurements below.
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Margarita
Making a delicious pumpkin spice margarita is simple and fast! All you need are the ingredients below and, generally speaking, these steps:
- Prep the glass
Wet the rim of your glass with a lime wedge or a little water and dip it in cinnamon sugar or by mixing brown sugar with cinnamon. Then fill your glass with ice.
- Mix the ingredients in the shaker
Fill the saker with ice and add lime juice, tequila, Cointreau, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and maple syrup if using.
- Skake it up!
Close the shaker and give it a shake to combine the ingredients until the sides of the shaker are fully frosted.
Pour the pumpkin cocktail into the prepared glass.
Sip, sip, hurray!
Do I need Triple Sec for this Margarita?
Triple sec, like Cointreau, is an orange liquor that adds fruity flavors and sweetness to your drink, and it's essential for a well-made margarita.
For this particular recipe, however, you could add a little more tequila since the pumpkin and spice flavors tend to shine through.
Read more: Triple Sec vs. Cointreau
How to Serve a Pumpkin Spice Margarita
Pumpkin Spice Margarita
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces tequila
- ½ ounce Cointreau or triple sec
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice or cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- Cinnamon Sugar, for the rim
- If making your own cinnamon sugar, combine 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon in a small dish. Spread it over a flat plate. Otherwise, spread some cinnamon sugar on the plate. Wet the rim of your glass with water or a lime wedge and roll it over the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Fill a shaker with ice. Pour lime juice, tequila, Cointreau or triple sec, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice or cinnamon, and maple syrup if using. Shake well to combine until the shaker is frosted.
- Pour cocktail into prepared glass.