This refreshing and simple Skinny Margarita packs all the delicious flavors of a classic Orange Margarita without the extra calories. With a few easy ingredient substitutions, you can enjoy this tasty cocktail completely guilt-free!
What Is a Skinny Margarita?
“Skinny” is a term that often refers to a lower-calorie version of an original. In this recipe, the skinny margarita has 100 calories per drink while the total calories of a classic margarita is about 230. By omitting the sugar-rich Cointreau or Triple Sec and adding a little orange juice instead.
What's a skinny margarita made of?
This Skinny Margarita is as easy as mixing a handful of ingredients: tequila, orange juice, lime juice, and honey -but you can omit this if you want to go lighter. By omitting the orange liquor, you're reducing the caloric content of the cocktail, too.
What is the Difference Between a Skinny Margarita and a Regular Margarita?
The main difference between a skinny margarita and a regular margarita is the total calories per serving. A skinny margarita has less than half the calories, approximately 100 calories, of a regular margarita by omitting the orange liquor ingredients and swapping it with a bit of orange juice to add the citrus back in.
Does it have less alcohol than a regular margarita?
A skinny margarita has less alcohol per cocktail than a regular margarita. It has a total of 1 ounce of alcohol per cocktail since it's made only with tequila, and a Classic Margarita has a total of 3 ounces of alcohol, 1.5oz of tequila, and 1.5 ounces of orange liquor.
This refreshing and guilt-free Skinny Margarita combines citrus flavors with smooth tequila, fresh orange and lime juice, and sweet honey. Use quality ingredients for easy cocktails.
Grab these ingredients to make this cocktail:
- Blanco or Silver Tequila: use your favorite brand.
- Orange juice: a substitute for triple sec or Cointreau that reduces the calories and alcohol vol % of this cocktail.
- Lime juice: freshly squeezed is best.
- Honey: or agave or simple syrup to make it sweeter -optional. You can use one packet of stevia.
- Ice: for shaking and serving.
- Salt: optional for rimming.
You'll find the measurements for this cocktail in the recipe card below.
How to Make a Skinny Margarita
Simple to make with minimal ingredients and steps - just as good as the original but with fewer calories per sip!
Follow these simple steps to ensure success:
- Prep the Glass
If you love a rimmed glass, rub a lime wedge along the rim and dip it into salt. Set it aside to dry.
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, tequila, orange juice, and lime juice. Add honey or your sweetener of choice.
Secure the top and shake well until the sides are frosted.
- Serve & Garnish
Fill the glass with ice and the skinny margarita mixture, and garnish with a wedge of lime.
Can I use a Skinny Margarita Mix
Absolutely! I enjoy making this skinny margarita from scratch for better control of the ingredients, but you could use a skinny margarita mix for convenience.
How to Serve a Skinny Margarita
Skinny Margaritas are best over ice, with or without rimming the glass with salt, and garnished with a wedge of lime. Pair them with these Roasted Curried Cauliflower Tacos to take the flavor experience to the next level.
Skinny Margarita Recipe (just as good!)
- 1 ounce Blanco or Silver tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice, about 1 lime
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave or, optional
- 1 packet stevia
- Salt, optional for rimming
- If you enjoy a salted glass, prep the rim of your glass by rubbing a lime wedge along the rim. Dip in tequila salt, and set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add tequila, lime juice, and orange juice. Add a little honey, agave, or one packet of stevia if you prefer your margaritas on the sweeter side.
- Shake well until the sides are fully frosted.
- Pour into the prepared glass and garnish with a wedge of lime.