Use your favorite hot cocoa recipe or the one in this post, mix it up with your favorite tequila, and you’ve got yourself a warm cocktail!
Boozy Hot Chocolate
Adding a little tequila to your hot chocolate makes a boozy adult drink that’s really good!
While you can make this drink with a powdered hot cocoa mix, I recommend taking 5 minutes to make the homemade hot chocolate recipe included, it’s so much better!
Then, pour it in a mug or take it to-go in your favorite insulated cup! Whipped cream, of course, is always recommended.
Make this spiked hot chocolate with your favorite tequila. Here is what you’ll need:
- Hot chocolate: milk, sugar, cocoa powder, a pinch of salt and vanilla is all you need to make the best cocoa at home.
- Tequila: use silver or Blanco tequila
You’ll find the ingredient measurements for this cocktail in the recipe card below.
Can I Use a Hot Cocoa Mix to Make This Drink?
Yes, you can make hot chocolate using a cocoa mix and spike it up. However, I recommend using half water and half milk to make the hot beverage. Milk yields a thicker consistency to hot chocolate and therefore a better spiked cocoa.
How to Make Hot Chocolate with Tequila
Take 5 minutes to make the hot chocolate at home before adding the tequila. Here’s what to do:
- Make the hot chocolate
Combine the cocoa powder, sugar, water, and salt in a medium sauce pan. Once dissolved, reduce the heat, add the milk, warm it up, and add the vanilla once hot.
- Make the cocktails
Pour 2 ounces of tequila into two mugs. Pour hot cocoa over the tequila and stir -the tequila and cocoa should mix as you pour the cocoa over the top.
Top with whipped cream and sprinkled cocoa over the top.
How to Serve This Drink
Spiked hot chocolate with tequila can be enjoyed in your favorite mug, topped with whipped cream, and cinnamon or cocoa powder sprinkled over the top. You can also take this with you to enjoy outdoors and keep it warm longer inside your favorite to-go cup.
More Winter Cocktails
Tequila pairs great with many of your winter favorite flavors. You can also make a Winter Margarita, my Christmas Moscow Mule, a Pomegranate Margarita, Eggnog & Tequila Cocktail, a Spiced Apple Margarita, a Mistletoe Margarita, or this White Margarita to enjoy all season long! You can also perk up your day with a Tequila and Coffee drink!
Tequila and Hot Chocolate
For the hot chocolate:
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- pinch salt
- 3 cups milk, dairy or non-dairy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cocktails:
- 4 ounces tequila
- whipped cream, for serving
- cocoa, for dusting
Make the hot chocolate:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cocoa powder, sugar, water, and salt.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, and stir in the milk, do not boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Mix it up:
- Once the hot cocoa is ready, pour 2 ounces of tequila into two mugs.
- Pour hot cocoa over the tequila and stir -the tequila and cocoa should mix as you pour the cocoa over the top.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkled cocoa over the top.