This simple cocktail gives me all the feels from the best of a Margarita and a Cuba Libre. And it turns out I'm not the only one who enjoys the combination of tequila with the classic soda and a touch of lime; it's a popular Mexican cocktail called Batanga!
What is Tequila and Coke Called?
The mix of tequila and coke is also known as “Batanga”. It was named by Don Javier Delgado Corona, the owner of the bar La Capilla in Tequila, Mexico, and the creator of this mixed drink in the 1950s. The drink is also the nickname of his friend.
What You Need for a Tequila and Coke
I've found that the combination of tequila and Coke makes an irresistible cocktail. You'll find the measurements in the recipe card for these ingredients:
- Tequila: silver or blanco. If you don't have a favorite one, I recommend some brands down below.
- Coke: I make this drink with Coke zero, but regular or diet Coke work as well.
- Lime wedges: for garnish.
Tequila and Coke Ratio
The coke to tequila ratio is 4 to 1. This means that to make one drink, you need 2 ounces of tequila and 8 ounces of Coke plus ice. You can, of course, adjust the quantities of each depending on how strong you like your cocktails.
Diet Coke and Tequila
I also enjoy this simple cocktail with Diet Coke or Coke Zero. Using a lower-calorie version instead of regular soda will shave off more than 140 calories and taste just as delicious!
Best Tequila to Mix with Coke
Silver and blanco tequilas are the best options to mix with Coke. These tequilas are affordable and mostly used in cocktails, especially those made with a sweet beverage, such as Coke! If you don't have a favorite brand, I recommend these ones:
How to Serve Tequila and Coke
Enjoy tequila and Coke chilled with ice cubes for the ultimate refreshing drink! Want to add some salt to the rim? Go ahead! Lime wedges are a must for tequila cocktails like this one.
Tequila and Coke
- 2 ounces tequila, silver or blanco
- 8 ounces Coke, zero or regular or diet
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Fill a tall glass with ice. Add the tequila and Coke and with a spoon, stir to combine.
- Squeeze a lime wedge into the drink and garnish with another lime wedge.