This Cadilac Margarita recipe has everything you love about the classic but is made with premium alcohol that yields a smooth drink!
If there's a time to use your nicer tequila, this is it! The mix ratio is smooth without the need for cocktail syrup or a margarita mix.
What is a Cadillac Margarita
Named after the classic luxury vehicle, this recipe is for people that enjoy the flavor of a margarita but want to elevate their sipping experience by using top-shelf, higher-quality tequila, Grand Marnier, and Cointreau.
Related: Grand Marnier vs.Triple Sec
Do you use Grand Marnier or Cointreau for a Cadillac Margarita
Unlike a traditional top-shelf margarita, this recipe uses both Grand Marnier and Cointreau. You can mix both into the recipe or serve the Grand Marnier on the side as as chaser shot or poured into the drink.
If you don't have both, pick one or the other. The key to the best Cadillac Margarita is using the premium liquor in the shaker.
If you don't have Grand Marnier, check out my Classic Margarita Recipe.
Cadillac Margarita Ingredients
It all starts with high-quality alcohol and the following ingredients:
- Premium Silver Tequila: none of the cheap stuff. Use your favorite, clean-tasting silver tequila.
- Cointreau: a high-end triple sec that adds a citrus flavor to the drink.
- Lime juice: your base for the margarita.
- Simple syrup: optional if you want it sweeter.
- Grand Marnier: another citrus-infused alcohol that adds both sweetness and flavor used as a chaser or added to the margarita.
- Lime: for garnishing.
- Margarita salt: for the rim and garnishing the glass. totally optional.
You'll find a printable recipe below with the measurements.
How to make a Cadillac Margarita
Whether you add the Grand Marnier to the shaker or serve it on the side, here is how to make this epic drink:
- Prep the glass
Prep the rim of your glass by rubbing a lime wedge along the rim and dipping it in Margarita salt, and set aside.
- Add the ice and ingredients to the shaker
Fill a shaker with ice and pour tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and simple syrup into the shaker. Shake to combine and chill until the side of the shaker is fully frosted.
Fill prepped glass with ice and strain the cocktail into the glass.
- Prep the chaser
Fill a shot glass with Grand Marnier and either pour it into the Margarita before sipping or take it as a shot and chase it with the Margarita.
Cadillac Margarita Garnish
You can opt for salt or no salt on the rim of your glass when it comes to serving a margarita on the rocks like this top-shelf margarita. Or, sometimes, you can salt half of the rim instead!
Other than salt, this Cadillac margarita is served with a lime wedge, which I typically squeeze into the drink before my first sip.
The Grand Mariner can be added to the drink and shaken or served on the side as a chaser, making this a potent drink!
When to Serve a Cadillac Margarita
This version of a top-shelf margarita is worth serving to celebrate a special occasion among friends or for yourself. It's a potent drink that ensures lots of social interaction.
Always on the rocks, never frozen. And because it uses premium liquors, it's probably best to be reserved for small gatherings or for when you deserve a nice drink!
- 2 ounces Premium Silver Tequila
- 1 ounce Cointreau
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup, optional
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier
- Lime, for garnish
- Margarita salt, for rims
- Prep the rim of your glass by rubbing a lime wedge along the rim and dipping it in Margarita salt, and set aside.
- Fill a shaker with ice and pour tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, and simple syrup into the shaker. Shake to combine and chill until the side of the shaker is fully frosted.
- Fill prepped glass with ice and strain the cocktail into the glass.
- Fill a shot glass with Grand Marnier and either pour it into the Margarita before sipping or take it as a shot and chase it with the Margarita.