When you want to drink something that screams tropical, here is a coconut lime margarita to transport you right to the Caribbean!
It's refreshing, creamy, and the perfect mix of citrusy and sweet flavors!
What Is a Coconut Lime Margarita
The Classic Margarita recipe, made with tequila, lime juice, and triple sec or Cointreau, is the base for a delicious variety of cocktails, such as coconut lime margarita! This drink adds coconut milk (or cream) to the equation so that you can enjoy sipping while feeling tropical vibes!
This tasty coconut lime twist makes it a great cocktail for sipping by the pool, at a summer party, or when you crave a delicious drink to chill!
So grab your shaker and get ready to enjoy this spectacular drink you can make in only 5 minutes!
What You Need
Add a few delicious ingredients to a classic margarita, and you'll have a tasty drink with a unique tropical flavor!
The coconut lime margarita entails:
- Blanco tequila: use your favorite or one of the ones below.
- Cointreau or Triple Sec: these orange liquors add sweetness and are essential for a good margarita.
- Lime juice: freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Coconut milk: I use canned coconut milk, but you can use coconut cream for a thicker texture and a little water.
- Simple syrup: optional to sweeten the drink.
- Ice: you want to sip it chilled!
You'll find a printable recipe below with the measurements.
Coconut Cream or Coconut Milk for this cocktail?
This coconut lime margarita uses coconut milk because it's easier to find and is what most of us have in our kitchens. Use the same amount of coconut cream for a thicker, creamier cocktail.
How to Make a Coconut Margarita with Lime
Prepping this drink is as simple as mixing ingredients and shaking! Here's how to make this summer cocktail:
- Add the ice and ingredients to the shaker
Fill a shaker with ice and pour tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, coconut milk (or coconut cream), and simple syrup (if using) into the shaker. Shake to combine and chill until the side of the shaker is fully frosted.
Fill a glass with ice and strain the cocktail into the glass.
Sip and enjoy!
Coconut Lime Margarita Garnishes
Salt on the rim is always a classic for margaritas, but not the only option! Shredded coconut on the rim is a great swap for this tropical-inspired cocktail.
For an extra touch, toast the coconut on a pan for a minute. Then, add it to the rim using a rimmer as you would salt.
Not the kind of something-on-the-rim person? Then garnish it with a lime or a lime twist!
Best Tequila for Coconut Lime Margarita
Blanco or silver tequila is a favorite one for cocktails. Here are some great options you won't regret buying:
Coconut Lime Margarita: Simple & Good!
- 1 ½ ounces Blanco tequila
- 1 /2 ounce Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 2 ounces coconut milk, canned
- ½ ounce simple syrup, optional
- Fill a shaker with ice and pour tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, coconut milk (or coconut cream) and simple syrup (if using) into the shaker. Shake to combine and chill until the side of the shaker is fully frosted.
- Fill a glass with ice and strain the cocktail into the glass.
- Sip and enjoy!
FAQ: can I skip the Cointreau or triple sec? Yes. While not as rich in citrus flavor, it will be ok. Increase your tequila to 2oz.